Idly is a traditional South Indian breakfast. For Kanchipuram idly the batter is seasoned with spices, corriander leaves, curry leaves, ginger and tastes delicious.
Idly rice - 3 cups
Urad dal - 1 cup
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Ghee - 2 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - a pinch
Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 strands chopped
Black pepper - 1 tsp
Cashewnuts - 20 halves
Soaked channa dhal - 2 tsp
Chopped coconut pieces- 2 tsp
Corriander leaves - 2 tsp chopped
Grated ginger - 1 inch
Green chillies - 1 or 2
1. Soak rice and urad dhal separately for 5 to 6 hours.
2. Grind urad dhal till soft and fluffy and rice a little coarse.
3. Mix both the batters and set aside to ferment overnight.
4. When ready to make the idlys add half cup of yogurt add salt to taste.
5. Add soaked channa dhal, chopped fresh coconut pieces, green chillies, corriander leaves and grated ginger to the dough.
6. Make a seasoning with 2 tsp ghee and add asafoetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves, black pepper, cashewnuts.
7. Add the seasoning to the batter.
8. Pour the batter in idly moulds or plates and steam it for about 15 minutes.
9. Serve with chutney or sambar.