The Indian Cooking Challenge for February is a spicy vegetable biryani which is a speciality from Tamil Nadu. This recipe is adapted from Chettinad recipes but tailored to my taste. This biryani is traditionally made with jeera samba rice but I used basmati rice.
Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, peas, beans, cauliflower, red bell pepper chopped ) -1 cup
Basmathi Rice- 1 and 1/2 cup
Small onions / shallots- 100 gms
Tomatoes large- 1 nos
Green chillies- 2 nos
Ginger grated - 1/2 inch
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Mint leaves- 1/2 bunch
Coriander leaves (cilantro)- 1/4 bunch
Cashew Nuts- 20 nos
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Water- about 2and half cups
Bay leaves- 1
Cinnamon stick 1" piece- 1
Cardamom- 2 nos
Cloves- 6 nos
Marati moggu- 1 no
Star Anise- 1 no
Oil- 3 -4 tbsp
Method:1, Take 2 tbsp oil in a pan and saute bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, marati moggu, star anise and set aside.
2. Fry cashew nuts till golden brown and set aside for garnishing.
3. Fry onions, green chillies add grated ginger. Add chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves and chopped vegetables
4, Finally add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder,red chillli powder and salt.
5. Add water about 2 and half cups and let it boil. Stir in the rice and vegetables and cook covered or in rice cooker.
6. Add ghee and garnish with cashew nuts and red bell pepper.
7. Serve with tomato and onion raita.