September 16, 2020
September 15, 2020
Tindora - 20
Besan - ½ cup
Peanuts roasted- ¼ cup
Red chilly powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Fennel seeds (Saumph) roasted- 1 tsp
Asafoetida - ½ tsp
Onion - 1 small finely chopped
Olive oil - 2tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 4 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 strands
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Onion - 1 medium
Cashew nuts - about 20 roasted in ghee
Cilantro chopped - 2 tbsp
1. Roast the besan flour for a few minutes.
2. Powder the peanuts & fennel seeds.
3. Mix the besan flour, powdered peanuts, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds powder, asafetida, salt and finely chopped onions.
4. Mix this with 2 tbsp of olive oil and little water to make a thick mixture.
5. Wash and dry the tindoras. Slit it in 4 keeping the base intact.
6. Stuff the tindoras with the prepared filling.
7. Steam the tindoras for 5 minutes.
8. Heat 4 tbsp. of oil and make a seasoning of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dhal, asafoetida, and add the chopped onion and sauté.
9. Add the steamed stuffed tindoras.
10. Adjust salt if necessary and garnish with chopped cilantro and cashew nuts.
September 8, 2020
|Fig & Dates Burfi|
1 cup – chopped dates
Almonds, pista, cashew, walnut – 1 cup together
Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
Nutmeg- 1/2 tsp
Cardamom powdered -7 pods
Chop the nuts and set aside.
Roast poppy seeds set aside
Add ghee to a pan & add the chopped fig/date mixture.
Cook the fig and date mixture for a few minutes till it becomes a mush.
Add chopped nuts, cardamom powder, and nutmeg.
Keep stirring & add another spoon of ghee till the mixture comes together and leaves sides.
Spread the mixture on a greased plate.
Cut to desired shapes when it is cooled.
August 12, 2020
My friend Uma is the sweetest person and an excellent cook. She is known for making all kinds of delicious desserts and savory dishes. One of her specialities is Dubai burfi. A few months back, when we visited her house, one of her guests asked her to give a demonstration making the burfi. She readily agreed and prepared it, with step by step instructions. My daughter and I daughter took some pictures and filmed the process, and I edited it together to make a full video of Uma's demonstration. Here it is!
Almonds powdered - 1 cup
Cashew powdered - 1 cup
Walnuts powdered - ½ cup
Milk powder - 2½cups
Sugar - 3½ cups
Ghee - 2 cups
Water - 1½cups
Saffron - ½ tsp
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
1. Powder almonds, cashew and walnuts separately. To this add the milk powder.
2. Take a heavy bottom vessel and add sugar and water and let it dissolve.
3. Add the powdered nuts and milk powder.
4. Keep stirring continuously.
5. Add saffron and cardamom powder.
6. Keep adding ghee throughout the process gradually.
7. When the consistency is thick and brown and it leaves the sides of the pan it is ready.
8. Pour the mixture on a greased plate and spread the mixture.
9. Cut to desired shapes and store in a container.
July 5, 2020
June 14, 2020
May 31, 2020
Bread slice - 3 slices cut into 4 pieces
Besan flour - 1/2 cup
Asafoetida - a big pinch
Red Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Rice flour - 1 tbsp
Kasuri methi - 2 tbsp
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Water to mix
1. Mix besan flour, asafoetida, red chilly powder, rice flour, kasuri methi, olive oil with water to make a thick dough.
2. Dip the bread slices and place on an aluminum foil in the air fryer at 350F for 5 minutes.
3. The dough will harden and now take off the aluminum foil and air fry for at 10 minutes at 350F till well done on both sides.
4. Serve with ketchup.
|Methi Matar Malai|
May 30, 2020
April 13, 2020
Beet root-1 big chopped
Carrot - 1 medium chopped
Potato - 2 medium chopped
Peas - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 2 medium chopped
Onion - 1 medium chopped
Ginger grated - 1 inch
Green chilies - 3 or more per taste
Mint leaves - a handful chopped
Lemon juice - a tbsp
Cashew nuts - a handful for garnish
Cilantro - for garnish
Salt to taste
Black pepper - 1 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Bay leaf -1
Cardamom - 4
Olive oil for sauteing
Basmati rice - 1&1/2 cup
Water - 1&1/2 cup
1. Soak basmati rice in water for half an hour.
2. Roast the spices in a tsp of olive oil.
3. Saute onion, green chilies, ginger, and other vegetables in olive oil.
4. Drain the rice and add to the vegetables, add chopped mint, salt and water.
5. Cook in instant pot rice setting or pressure cooker/rice cooker.
6. When the pulav is cooked add lemon juice, garnish with cilantro and cashews.
April 4, 2020
Instant coffee powder - 2 tbsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Hot water - 2tbsp
Milk - 1/2 - 1 cup
1. Combine the instant coffee powder, sugar, and hot water in a mixing bowl
2. Use a hand whisk or an electric mixer with the wire whip attachment to whip the mixture until the mixture is fluffy and stiff peaks form. The mixture should be lighter in color.
3. Spoon the whipped coffee over hot or cold milk to serve.
April 3, 2020
|Air fried crispy poha|
Thin variety Poha - 2 cups
Olive oil - 2tbsp
Salt - to taste
Chilly powder - t tsp or more as per taste
Peanuts - a handful
Oil - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 4 sprigs
Red chilly -1 broken
Roasted channa dhal - 2 tbsp
1. Take poha and peanuts in a bowl and and 2 tbsp of olive oil and mix it well so it is well coated.
2. Keep in the air fryer in a steel colander and air fry for 8 to 10 minutes at 300F
3. Add salt and chilly powder
4. Add one tsp of oil and make a seasoning of mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves, red chillies, and roasted channa dhal.
5. Pour the seasoning on the poha.
6. Serve when it is room temperature.