The cooking challenge for December is Khandvi. This event is hosted by Srivalli of Spicing your life. Making Khandvi is an art as it has to be cooked to the correct consistency and spread thin to cut into rolls. I made this delicious appetizer for a holiday party and all my friends loved it.
Gram flour /Besan - 1/3 cup
Yogurt - 1/3 cup beaten
Water - 1 cup
Salt as per taste
Sugar - 1 tsp
Ginger Green Chilli paste - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida / Hing - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Oil - 2 tsps
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Sesame seeds- 2 tsps
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsps
Coriander Leaves chopped - 2 tbsps
1. Grease a baking sheet ready before you cook.
2. Mix besan, salt, ginger-chilli paste, beaten curds and water and mix well.
3. Make sure the batter is smooth and thin batter, free of lumps.
4. Add the sugar, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
5. Heat oil in a thick bottom pan and add the prepared batter
6. Cook the batter, stirring continuously till the batter turns a light brown tinge, glaze
from the oil and will not stick to the walls of the pan.
7. The batter should still be in a semi liquid state, tipping more
towards solid state. Over cooking will result in a mass that will not spread evenly.
8. Transfer the cooked batter quickly on to the flat greased baking sheet and with the ladle
spread the batter to a thin sheet over the surface quickly.
9. Using a knife or pizza cutter make strips of this sheet.
8 Roll each strip into spirals and place them in a separate dish.
9. Separately heat another pan with oil, and make a seasoning of mustard and sesame seeds and pour it over the rolled khandvis.
10. Garnish with fresh grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.