I prepared this appetizer dhokla and corriander chutney for my favorite friend Nita's birthday.
Recipe for Khaman Dhokla
Makes 20 medium sized pieces
Bengal Gram flour / Besan - 250 gms (1 & 1/2 cup)
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Cooking Soda - 1/2 tsp
To be mixed to the batter just before cooking
Oil - 1 tbsp
Turmeric a pinch
Green Chili paste - 1 - 2
Sugar - 1 tsp
Citric acid - 1/2 tsp
Eno - 1 tsp + sprinkle or dust few bits on the plate
Sesame seeds - 1tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 string
Grated coconut - 1 tblsp
Coriander leaves - Corriander leaves
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Method to prepare:
1. Mix 1/2 cup yogurt with 1/2 water.
2. Add the besan and mix well to get a lump less batter, the consistency should be of idli batter, more of dropping not pouring consistency. Slowly add more water if needed else.
3. Add the cooking soda. Keep it aside to rise for 1 hour.
4. If using a pressure cooker, fill the pan with water, place a plate over which you will have use a plate for steaming the dhoklas. Thali plate can be used for steaming
5. To the batter mix in the citric acid, oil, salt, sugar, green chili paste and turmeric powder. Mix well. This has to be done just before pouring to the plate.water start boiling.
6. Mix the eno to the batter and a little of eno for dusting on the plate mix gently.
7. Pour the batter to the plate. Place the plate carefully inside the pressure pan and cover with lid. You need not use the whistle for the pressure cooker. After covering steam 5 -7 minutes.8. After 5 -7 minutes, remove the lid and test with a toothpick. If it comes out clean and does not have any batter sticking, then its done. Cover back and let it remain on flame for one min and switch off the stove and cook for 5 minutes.
Heat a pan with oil, add curry leaves, sesame seeds, mustard seeds and finely chopped green chilies. When mustard starts popping, remove and pour over the dhokla. Garnish with corriander leaves and grated coconut.