I tried my mom's recipe of "Holige" for Diwali and it was a huge success!
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Salt - a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Water - to mix the dough
Olive Oil - 3 tblsp
Bengal gram dhal - 1 cup
Brown sugar/grated jaggery - 1 1/2cup
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Rice flour - as required for rolling
Olive oil to cook the holige
1. Mix flour, salt, turmeric powder till it mixes well.
2. Add water and knead to a soft pliable dough.
3. Add 3 tblsp of olive oil on top and mix well.
4. Rest for 3 to 4 hours.
5. Pressure cook bengal gram dhal in cooker with enough water for 2 to 3 whistles.
6. Cool and drain the water and blend with the brown sugar or jaggery till smooth.
7. Cook the blend mixture till the water is evaporated.
8. Make the filling to even size balls.
9. Divide the maida dough to the equal number of the filling.
10. Place the filling in the dough and seal it.
11. Roll it with a rolling pin dusting with rice flour.
12. Cook on a anodized or non stick griddle on both sides with a few drops of olive oil.
13. Cool in and serve.