I tried beets pulav for Valentines Day. This is a colorful dish as the beets give a pinkish color. The sweet taste of beets and the mild spices blend in to make it very flavorful.
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Extra virgin olive oil - 1tblsp
Beets - 1 chopped
Mixed vegetables of your choice- 1/2 cup chopped
Tomato - 1 medium
Green chillies - 2 slit lengthwise
Cilantro - 2 tbsp chopped
Mint - 2 tbsp chopped
Salt - to taste
Juice of half lime
Whole spices - 2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 inch cinnamon
Water to cook - 2 cups
Cashew nuts - few to garnish
1. In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Over medium heat, sauté the whole spices, green chilies for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the beets; mixed vegetables, tomato, cover and sauté 5 minutes.
3. Add basmati rice, salt, chopped mint, and cilantro and water.
4. Bake at 350 degree F for 45 minutes in a oven safe dish or alternatively cook on stove till done.
5. Add lime juice and garnish with chopped cilantro and cashew nuts