The ICC challenge for October is a Sindhi specialty dessert "Majoon". This event is hosted by Srivalli of "Spicing Your Life" and the recipe was provided by Vaishali of "Ribbons to Pastas". I tried half the quantity of the recipe and substituted Khoya with Ricotta cheese and milk with 1/3 quantity of readily available evaporated milk (instead of boiling and reducing the milk). I reduced the ghee too. This dessert is simple divine.
Evaporated milk - 1 can (12 oz)
Sugar - 1 cup
Dates chopped - 15
Poppy Seeds - 1/4 cup
Ricotta cheese - 8 oz
Cardamon powder - a pinch
Almonds crushed roughly - 1 cup
Cashew nuts crushed - 1/2 cup
Pista crushed - 3/4 cups
Ghee - 3 tbsp
1. Take evaporated milk in an anodized pan. Add sugar and let it dissolve.
2. Add poppy seeds, cardamon powder, ricotta cheese and chopped dates.
3. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the crushed nuts.
4. Continue cooking on slow flame till the milk is all evaporated.
5. After about 20 minutes or so, the entire mix is dry and all the moisture is gone, start adding the ghee one spoon at a time and mix everything.
6. When you find the moisture is completely dried and the ghee starts coming on the sidescover with a lid and place a heavy object, continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
7. Cool and serve.
This dessert can be refrigerated for up to 6 months in the refrigerator. This is also mixed with 2 tsp of milk, warmed in microwave for 2 mins to get it piping hot and served for a Sindhi breakfast.