Chenna Poda is a quintessential cheese dessert from Orissa. It is made with home made cheese, mixed with sugar, soji, sugar, cardamom, raisins, and cashew nuts and baked in the oven. The flavor for this dessert is predominantly derived from the caramelization of sugar.
Paneer / Chenna - made from 5 cups of milk
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Soji - 4 tsp
Cardamom a small pinch
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Raisins and Cashew nuts few
1. In a bowl mash Chenna thoroughly. Add Soji, sugar and rest of the ingredients and mix it well.
2. For the caramelized effect on the top. Take a tablespoon of ghee in a pan and add a sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar and heat till it turns brown. Spread the melted sugar evenly.
3. Pour the chenna mix over the caramelized sugar in a baking dish or individual ramekins.
4. Bake in a preheated oven of 350 degree Farenheit for one hour. If using individual ramekins it will take about 30 to 40 minutes. Insert a toothpick to check that it comes out clean.
5. Cool it for an hour and then turn it upside down. Slice and serve.
The Indian Cooking Challenge for March is Chenna Poda. This event is hosted by Srivalli of "Spicing Your Life" and the recipe was provided by Shibani of "Any one can cook".