This version is my mom's recipe made with rice flour, fresh coconut, red chillies, asafoetida and deep fried.
Rice Flour - 2 cups
Semolia fine variety - 1/4 cup
Oil - 4 tbsp for the dough
Fresh coconut grated - 1 cup
Red chillies - 6 or 7 as per taste
Asafoetida - a pinch
Butter - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
1. Sauté semolina in a tsp of oil till warm and set aside.
2. Blend coconut with red chillies and asafoetida.
3. Mix the rice flour, salt, semolina, blend coconut with red chillies,asafoetida with butter and 4tbsp of hot oil.
4. Knead to form a firm dough.
5. Take out a small ball, roll and coil it around in the shape shown. Repeat with the rest of the
6. Heat enough oil for deep frying.
7. Drop the rings into the oil with out overcrowding and fry them on
low to medium heat till they turn golden brown both sides.
8. Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen towel.