I had tried these Mangalore buns and goli bajji at a small restaurant called Mitra Samaj in Udupi. Ever since this has been on my mind. The Indian cooking challenge for March is Mangalore buns.
All purpose flour - 1&1/2 cup
1 medium size ripe banana mashed
Yogurt - 3 to 4 tbsp
Sugar - 2-3 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - a pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil to deep fry
1. Peel, chop and mash the bananas and set aside.
2, In a dish add the mashed bananas, all purpose flour, yogurt, sugar, cumin seeds, baking soda and 2 tsp oil.
3. Knead to a soft pliable dough. Do not add any other liquid.
4. Cover and set in the refrigerator overnight.
5. Knead slightly and make small lemon size balls.
6. Roll it to 3-4" discs thicker than puris.
7. Deep fry in hot oil and press the center to puff up,
8. Turn and fry both sides till golden brown color.
9. Serve with coconut chutney.