Inspired by Mane Holige of Gandhi Bazaar I tried this making dates holige. Got some tips on this dessert from Udupi recipes
For the dough
Fine semolina- 1/2 cup
All purpose flour- 1 cup
Salt- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- A pinch
Oil- 1/4 cup
Water- to mix
For fillingPitted Dates- 8 oz
Desiccated coconut- 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
1. Take fine semolina, all purpose flour, salt and turmeric powder in a bowl.
2. Combine everything adding water gradually to make a soft dough.
3. Add some oil and knead.
4. Put some oil on top of the dough and cover it and rest it for a couple of hours.
5. Finally knead once again soft and loose dough.
1 . Blend the dates with as little water as possible.
2. Add coconut powder and blend dates cardamom and cook in a non stick pan.
3. When it thickens and leaves the pan turn off the heat and let it cool.
4. When completely cooled make lemon size balls of the stuffing.
1. Make balls of lemon size with the dough.
2. Place the stuffing in the dough and seal it.
3. Roll or press it to a thin disc of 5 inches on a plastic sheet.
4. Transfer the rolled holige to a heated non stick skillet and cook on both sides on medium flame.
5. When the brown spots appear they are done.
6. Serve with ghee.