This was my favorite dessert growing up. Recenty, I found this fruit at the local Asian grocery store. I tried my mom's recipe of Jackfruit payasa and it was delicious.
Jackfruit peeled - 1 cup
Moong dhal - 1/4 cup
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Whole milk - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup or more per your taste
Cardamom - 2 to 3 crushed
Ghee (Clarified butter) - 3-4 tsp
1. Cut jackfruit to small pieces
2. Saute in 2tsp of ghee and set aside
3. Saute raisins and cashewnuts in 2 tsp of ghee and set aside
3. Roast moong dhal in the same pan and pressure cook for ten minutes
4. In a heavy bottomed pan add the sauted jackfruit, cooked moong dhal, jaggery, coconut milk and whole milk and cook for five minutes.
5. In the end add the crushed cardamom and sauted raisins and cashewnuts.