Vangi Bhath is a famous South Indian dish made with fried egg plant, and a combination of other vegetables flavored with spices. I tried to use the same spices and vegetables and tried making bread with this flavor. All my friends loved the authentic taste of Vangi Bhath in the form of bread.
Yogurt - 3 oz
Whey - 5 oz
Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Olive Oil – 3 tbsp
Bread Flour – 3 cups
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Yeast – 3 tsp
Dessicated Coconut powder - 1 tbsp
Vangi bhath powder - 2 tbsp
To be added during during the mixed bread cycle when the machine beeps
Asafoetida - a pinch
Turmeric - 1 pinch
Finely Chopped Carrots - 2 inch piece
Chopped potatoes - 1/4 of a small potato
Methi leaves chopped - 2 tblsp
Bell pepper chopped - 2 tblsp
Egg plant - a small piece
Cilantro leaves - 2 tbsp
Olive oil to saute - 2 tsp
All the vegetables and cilantro leaves should not exceed half cup after sauteed.
1. In a pan take 2 tsp of olive oil add asafoetida and turmeric.
2. Saute the vegetables and methi leaves to be added during the mixed bread cycle.
3. Add the chopped cilantro and set aside.
For the Bread:
1. Add all the ingredients for the bread in the bread machine in the order given above.
2. Set the setting to mix bread and light crust
3. Start the bread machine
4. Make sure the dough is soft elastic ball, if necessary add a tsp of oil if the dough is tight or a tsp of flour if the dough is sticky
5. When the machine beeps add the sauteed vegetables.
6. Cool completely when done and slice to pieces.