Ganesh Chaturthi, the birthday of Lord Ganesha, is celebrated with great pomp and show in India. This festival is incomplete without karagadabu for Ganesha. This year me and my friend Arathi made karagadabus for the festival.
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Cream of wheat - 3/4 cup
Salt a pinch
Sugar - 1 tsp
Ghee - 2 tsp
Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
Coconut powder - 1/4 cup
Saffron - few strands
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Powdered cashews - 1/4 cup (optional)
Oil to fry
1. Mix all purpose flour, salt, cream of wheat, sugar, ghee to a stiff but pliable dough.
2. Rest the dough covered for half an hour
3. Knead well so it is soft and easy and to work with. Add a tsp of olive oil if necessary.
4. Mix all the filling ingredients.
5. Make small balls from the dough and roll it or press it with a tortilla press
6. Keep the rolled dough in the mould and spread the filling and seal the edges.
7. Remove from the mould and deep fry in medium heat till crisp.