Kodbale is our this month's Indian Cooking Challenge. Kodbale is a popular snack from Karnataka. There are different versions of this snack. I chose Suma's version from Veggie Platter.
Rice flour - 2 cups
All-purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Peanuts - 1/2 cup
Salt and chili powder to taste
Oil - 2-3 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
a pinch of asafoetida
Oil to deep fry
For the dough:
1. Steam the all purpose flour in pressure cooker for 10 minutes without the whistle.
2. Cool the flour and sieve.
3. Toast and skin the peanuts and grind them finely.
4. Heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the seeds start to splutter, remove from heat.
5. Combine the flour, peanut powder, rice flour, salt and chili powder. Add the seasoning and mix well. Then slowly add water and form firm dough.
1. Take out a small ball, place it on a greased surface, roll as a roll and coil it around in the shape shown. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
2. Heat enough oil for deep frying.
2. Drop the rings into the oil with out overcrowding and fry them on low to medium heat till they turn golden brown both sides.
3. Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen towel.
Store in a tight container