- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pkg (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon flavoring
- 3 eggs separated
Butter cream icing or Ready to use Wilton Decorator's icing
Recipe for Butter cream icing:
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.Fruits sliced for decoration
Melted jelly for brushing on top
Chopped nuts for the sides of the cake
1. In large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and gelatin. Add milk, oil and lemon flavoring; mix well.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray pan with cake release or brush with vegetable shortening.
3. Beat in egg yolks, until stiff, but not dry, adding remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Fold egg whites into batter.
4. Bake 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back lightly to the touch. Cool 15 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and cool completely.
5. Spread the butter cream icing and arrange the sliced fruits as desired.
6. Brush with melted jelly
Sending this entry to "Now Serving" Crazy for Cakes