I am a vegetarian so it's no surprise that I love cooking vegetables. But I like to experiment with different vegetables, spices, lentils to pioneer one-of-a kind culinary innovations. I love cooking spinach as well as other vegetables, so I tried this recipe and as a fun zing I added seasoned tofu to create a scrumptious new versatile curry that can be used for many different dishes. These low fat tortilla rolls stuffed with vegetables make a complete meal. The same filling can be used with cheese to spread on sandwiches, or it can be paired with basmati rice and cheese as a delicious dinner entree.
Fresh spinach - 8 cups tightly packed and chopped
Red Bell pepper - 1 big sliced to thin strips
Ginger - ½ inch grated
Black pepper powder - ½ tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - ½ tsp
Medium firm tofu - ½ lb cut to cubes
Paprika or chili powder - ½ tsp
Juice of half a lime
Salt to taste
Cilantro - 2 tsp chopped
Olive oil -5 tblsp
Whole wheat stone ground tortillas (rotis) -8
Lettuce and red bell pepper cut to rings for decoration
How to proceed:
1. Heat 3 tblsp of oil in a pan; add the pepper powder and ½ tsp turmeric powder to the oil.
2. Add the chopped onions and grated ginger and sauté for 5 minutes
3. Add the chopped spinach and salt to taste. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. In another pan take 1 tblsp of oil and sauté the red bell pepper and set aside
5. In the same pan add 1 tblsp of olive oil and the tofu cubes and sauté. To this add paprika or chili powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt, and lime juice. Sauté for 10 minutes.
6. Add the sautéed red bell peppers, tofu, and chopped cilantro to the spinach mixture.
7. Divide the filling into 8 equal portions
To prepare the rolls:
1. Heat a skillet and warm the tortillas
2. Layer the tortilla with a lettuce leaf and spread one portion of the filling in the center of the tortilla and roll up tightly.
3. Roll it and serve with a red bell pepper ring
Sending this recipe to Only Original Recipes event at Nivedita's Kitchen and Foodelicious