The challenge for the Indian Cooking challenge for the month of February is "Suruttai Poli". This event is hosted by Srivall of "Spicing your life". This recipe is adapted from Nithya of 4th sense cooking. This dessert has a crispy crunchy crust and mildly sweetened with the filling. I made this delicious dessert for my friend's "Board Game Nite" and everyone enjoyed this.
For filling -
Roasted gram - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Cashews - 20
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Dry Coconut - 1 tblsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Method for filling:
1. Powder the roasted gram and sugar together. Chop the cashews into small pieces.
2. Roast cut cashews and coconut in a tsp of ghee.
3. Mix the other ingredients in a bowl. Keep it aside.
For the Crust:
Aall purpose flour - 1 cup
Salt - a pinch
Oil - for frying
1. Mix the all purpose flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Knead it like chapathi dough and set it aside for half an hour.
3. Make small balls from the dough and roll them into very thin circles of 10cm diameter.
4. After rolling them into circles spread them on a cookie sheet a for ten minutes.
5. Deep fry them in hot oil and remove them when they are half cooked. It should be flexible and should not turn brown or crispy
6. Remove them from oil and spread 3 spoons of fillingon the crust and roll it tight like a cigar and keep it on a plate with seem sidefacing down.