The challenge for March is a speciality dish from Kerala. It is a steamed rice cake leavened with yeast, sweetened with sugar and garnished with nuts and raisins. This challenge is hosted by Srivalli of Spicing Your Life and the recipe is adapted from Shn of Mishmash.
Vatteppam/Vattayappam – Kerala’s Queen of steamed rice cakes
Raw rice - 1 cup soaked for 6-8 hours
Grated coconut - ¾ cup
Cooked rice -2 tblsp
Water - ½ cup water to grind (thick as idli batter)
To Proof yeast:
Active dry yeast ½ tsp
Water - 1/3 cup
Sugar - 2tsp
To Make Rice porridge: (Use 4tbsp of this paste)
Coarse ground paste -1½ to 2 tbsp
Water -1/3 to ½ cup
To sweeten and flavor:
Sugar - ½ cup or more per your taste
Cardamom powdered - 6 to 8
Cashew nuts 8 to 10
Raisins ½ tblsp
Ghee1 ½ tblsp
1. Blend rice in an adding very little water to a coarse texture,
2. From the blend mixture remove the required quantity mentioned under, “To Make Rice porridge” and keep aside.
3. Add freshly grated coconut to the main batch of ground rice and grind thoroughly to a fine batter.
4. At the end, add cooked rice and grind again.
5. Proof yeast by warming adding sugar and yeast dissolved in this luke warm water and keep the mixture in a warm place for 15-20 minutes till it foams.
To make Rice porridge:
Heat a pan and add a couple of spoonfuls of coarse ground rice, kept aside earlier and water; bring it to a boil and keep stirring in low-medium heat until it is fully cooked and reaches the consistency of porridge and turn off the heat and cool completely.
Add the rice porridge to the ground rice batter and blend it thoroughly with the batter. Next, add yeast mixture and pulse one or two times just to blend everything well.
Pour the entire batter to a bowl and let it ferment in a warm place for about 4-6 hours or overnight. When batter is doubled and fermented, add sugar let it ferment for another 2 hours.
Just before steaming, add powdered cardamom, ghee roasted nuts and raisins to the batter.
Grease a 6 inch round cake pan with oil or cake release. Pour the prepared batter and fill till half of the pan/cake tin and steam cook for about 20 -30 minutes in medium heat.
Let it completely cool. Now run a knife by the side of the pan and gently separate the steamed cake from the edges of the pan and slowly lift the cake with a spatula and cut into squares of wedges.