September 14, 2011
All purpose flour - 100 gm
Yogurt - 1 cup
Lime juice - 1 tsp
Cornstarch - 30 gm
Hot oil - 1 tbsp
Saffron color - a large pinch
Sugar - 1 cup
Water - ½ cup
Oil for deep frying
To make the batter:
1. In a bowl combine yogurt, lime juice, flour, cornstarch, saffron color, and hot oil. Whisk together to make a thick batter. Ferment this batter overnight.
To make the Sugar syrup:
1. Combine sugar with water and heat till sugar dissolves.
2. Bring to a boil till you reach a light syrup consistency. Keep warm on low flame.
To make the jalebi:
1. Heat oil over medium-low flame.
2. Spoon batter into a piping bag or ziplog bag with one corner cut off.
3. Pipe batter into hot oil and fry till crisp and pale golden.
4. Drop jalebis into warm sugar syrup for a few minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.
5. Serve warm.
Sending this entry to "Indian Cooking Challenge" hosted by Srivalli of "Spicing Your Life".